You obsess over your weight and are ready to do anything to lose it. However, before you go on an extreme diet for weight loss, consider the consequences of losing fast weight. A good friend of mine went on an extreme diet just before her wedding. She ended up in the hospital in a coma.
Learn the risks of the most popular diets in this article. Always talk to a doctor before starting ANY diet.
What is an Extreme Diet for weigh loss?
There are a lot of different diets out there that people use for weight loss, but not all of them are considered being extreme. So, what is an extreme diet for weight loss?
An extreme diet is any type of diet that is significantly different from the typical way of eating and can be considered to be unhealthy or dangerous. Some examples of extreme diets include:
- The Cabbage Soup Diet: This diet is very restrictive, only allowing you to eat cabbage soup and a few other approved foods for a week or more – but it lacks many nutrients and as soon as you stop, you gain all it back. Not safe.
- The Grapefruit Diet: This diet requires you to eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice with every meal in order to lose weight. Grapefruits do not burn fat and the danger is when people only drink grapefruit juice for days!
- The Master Cleanse: This diet requires you to drink a mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water for 10 days in order to cleanse your body and lose weight. No food intake… it’s crazy risky.
While these diets may help you lose weight in the short-term, they are not sustainable and can actually be dangerous. Extreme diets often lack important nutrients, can lead to serious health problems, and can even cause you to gain back any weight you lost once you resume your normal eating habits.
It’s best to replace those lapses to extreme diets with maintaining a balanced diet. Remember, there is no magic bullet in weight loss.
Here are some foods you should include in your weight-loss regimen:
- Fruits and vegetables: Most fruits and vegetables are low in calories but high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Eating more low calorie fruits and vegetables will help fill you up without filling you out!
- Lean Proteins: Protein can be an extremely important part of any diet plan because it helps promote weight loss by helping build muscle tissue. Only eat lean protein, however – beef (grilled), chicken breast (grilled or baked), turkey meat (beans is a good substitute for those following a vegetarian diet).
- Whole Grains: If your goal is to fill up cheaply, add in some whole grains into your diet. Whole grains will keep you full and you’ll get the nutrients you need!
- Limit Fatty Foods: As an easy rule of thumb, anything fried is probably not good for your diet.
Also, be very careful with whopper supreme size fries or extra greasy toppings on your pizza, wings, tater tots– these will all pack on lbs fast! If it’s not readily identifiable as a vegetable or fruit, don’t eat it!
How can an Extreme diet be harmful to your health?
There are many potential dangers associated with any extreme diets for weight loss.
They often do not provide the necessary nutrients for good health, and can lead to problems such as malnutrition, dehydration, and even death.
Extreme diets can also cause an unhealthy obsession with food and weight loss, which can lead to eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.
Additionally, extreme dieting can lead to swing dieting, which can have negative effects on your physical and mental health, including increased risk of heart disease, bone loss, and depression.
If you are considering an extreme diet for weight loss, it is important to speak with your doctor first to discuss the risks and whether or not the diet is right for you.
Dangerous Side effects of extreme diet for weight loss
Most people are looking for a magic bullet when it comes to weight loss. They want to find the quickest, easiest way to shed those extra pounds.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to weight loss. And extreme diets can actually be dangerous to your health. The problem with extreme diets is that they are not sustainable.
You may be able to stick to an extreme diet for a few weeks or even months, but eventually you will get tired of feeling deprived all the time.
When you go off the diet, you are likely to regain all of the weight you lost, plus more. Extreme diets can also have some serious side effects.
Some people who go on extreme diets experience headaches, fatigue, irritability, and even nausea and vomiting.
Extreme diets can also cause constipation and dehydration. In some cases, extreme dieting has been linked to eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. If you are thinking about going on an extreme diet, talk to your doctor first.
He or she can help you determine if a particular diet is safe for you and can help you create a healthier eating plan that will help you reach your weight loss goals safely.
Whilst it is possible to lose weight quickly by following an extreme diet, it is not sustainable in the long term and can actually be dangerous to your health.
If you are considering going on an extreme diet, we would advise to do so under medical supervision and with caution.
If you want to lose weight in a sustainable way, focus on making small changes to your diet and lifestyle that you can stick to in the long term.